16 Feb 2018
Offered at $1,298,000
Sold for $1,710,000
Property Type: Single Family Home
- Rare large wooded lot in the center of the city
- Views of sunsets over the ocean and the Farralon Islands to the west sweeping over to the Golden Gate Bridge in the north.
- Expansive great room style living/dining with huge stone fireplace
- 2 bedrooms/2 baths + large den with 2nd fireplace (gas)
- Remodeled kitchen with stainless appliances and granite counters
- Remodeled upstairs bath with new tile and vanity top.
- Ample built in original storage
- Fully detached home with windows on all sides
- Romantic terraced garden with views
- Easy access to the freeway south and or the train downtown
- Quick walk to shopping and dining in West Portal
- 1 car garage parking + 1 in driveway
- Year built: 1947
- Bldg. Sq. footage: 1,578 per graphic artist
- Lot Sq. footage: 5148 per tax records
In 1947, the world was feeling expansive and good. The war was over. California was cool. Cocktails and romance were in.
140 Edgehill is a transporting mini-estate in the center if San Francisco built for it’s time. Ascend the flagstone staircase to the brick patio and enter through the grand front door and you will see sweeping views from the Farallon islands to the Golden Gate Bridge as you stand in front of the oversized stone fireplace. It is like no city home you’ve ever seen. It is serene, spacious and verdant. You will feel like you must be in Marin. The entire main level is surrounded by accessible outdoor spaces and has windows on all sides that provide light without any sacrifice of privacy. The terraced garden climbs the hillside and provides even better views than the house.
The home’s upper level contains the living room, dining room, kitchen, one huge bedroom with custom closets and a bath which also has a view of the Golden Gate Bridge. The lower level provides direct access to the garage and has one more bedroom, with a large attached den with a 2nd fireplace and the 2nd bath. Also on this level are a large workroom with ingenious storage and laundry.
The best thing may be that even though you will feel like you’ve left the city – you haven’t! 140 Edgehill is a mere 5 minute walk from vibrant West Portal or Forest Hills stations where you can catch the K, L, and M lines, and about 2 minutes drive from from Portola and the way to 280 South. Also nearby, at 19th & Taraval are many tech shuttles – about a 15 minute walk. (And on the way home you can pick up dinner at Guerra’s to Go, or do some wine tasting at the San Francisco Wine Trading Company.)
140 Edgehill is an amazing and unexpected home. This is your chance to be it’s fourth caretaker. And even though tobacco products are completely passé, you might still need a smoking jacket to fully enjoy it’s charms.