Pending: Living Alamo Square: A Historical Treasure Ready for Modern Life
1402 Golden Gate Avenue, San Francisco, CA
- Offered at $ 1,849,000
- Four bedrooms/two and two 1/2 bath historic Victorian row house in Alamo Square Historic District
- Hard to find floorplan with 3 beds/1.5 baths on the top level
- Main level has large living room/formal dining room/kitchen with walk out deck _ 1.5 bath
- Lower level with laundry, wine room and spacious guest suite with separate entrance
- Cook’s kitchen with gas Wolf range, custom cabinetry and granite counters
- Formal dining room with custom built-in hutch
- Upstairs full bath features spectacular azure mosaic tile with double shower
- Lower level full bath feature huge soaking tub
- Huge windows, high ceilings and original details
- Traditional red oak hardwood floors throughout
- Private rear garden w/deck often visited by hummingbirds
- Leased Parking at Fillmore Center $190/month
- Side by side front loading laundry in laundry room on lower level
- Immediate entry to the freeway south and steps to transit downtown + shuttles
- HOA Dues: $300/month
- 1402 Golden Gate belongs to a seven unit HOA and is technically classified as a condominium.
- Year built: 1885
- Square footage: 2423 sq. ft per graphic artist
- Walk/Bike/Transit Score: 95/88/88
A Gracious Home of Good Fortune
Cushioned from the bustle by fenced front gardens, 1402 Golden Gate and her Victorian Stick Style sisters in the historic Sharon Row are very lucky homes – and we are fortunate they are still here to remind us of the grace of another time. While many of their counterparts further to the east were demolished to make way for “the future” in the 1950s and 1960s, these seven were chosen for restoration instead and remain one of the most significant still standing rows of identical homes in San Francisco.
While they are uniform on the exterior, inside the homes are all quite different because of choices made over the years by their various owners. 1402 has again been lucky and evokes the joie de vivre of a London townhouse, with designer wallpaper and art covered walls, bespoke lighting, a gourmet kitchen with French doors to the private rear garden, luxurious contemporary bathrooms and an entire lower level with guest suite, wine room and laundry legalized in 2008. Other features, such as the spacious entry hall with double doors, rebuilt living room fireplace, soaring 12-foot ceilings, box bay windows, and the impressive original balustrade cast an elegance on daily life.
If you get tired of admiring the interior of this home, you can admire the famous Chateau Tivoli complex across the street designed by William Armitage or the famous Painted Ladies two blocks up Steiner or just generally stroll around The Alamo Square historical district. Alamo Square Park itself is one block away, and the delights of the Divisadero corridor and NOPA are just a few steps more, including BiRite on, Faletti Foods on Broderick and the Sunday NOPA Farmer’s Market. For takeout, or outdoor dining, many NOPA restaurants are open and ready to feed the hungry. Just across the street, enjoy fresh beer and pub fare at Barrell Head Brewhouse, awesome burritos at Papalote, and Iraqui cuisine at Jannah, or mosey over to Divis for BBQ at 4505 Meats, modern Italian cuisine at Che Fico Alimentary or cornmeal crust pizza at Little Star. 1402 Golden Gate is also just a short walk to the Fillmore Jazz District (mmm State Bird Provisions, and Progress), the Japan Center and Pacific Heights shopping on Fillmore. And while it doesn’t seem terribly relevant during COVID times, all the tech shuttles will at some point resume travelling on Divisadero as well, so getting to work will be a breeze too.