851 Van Ness Avenue #407
San Francisco, CA
- Offered at $ 1,198,000
- Top floor, 2-level loft style condominium.
- Three bedrooms/Two baths + Den
- Huge chef’s kitchen with freshly-painted cabinetry, gas range and granite counters
- Soaring 14’+ ceilings in living/dining and main bedroom
- Great room style living/dining/kitchen with gas fireplace massive north facing windows for all day light
- Main bedroom with en-suite bath, walk-in closet and balcony
- 2nd bed and bath are in their own wing for privacy
- 3rd bed + den are on upper mezzanine level
- Open-air courtyard-style building – entry via elevator or easy to access staircase
- Striking newer engineered wood floors
- Laundry in-unit/2nd bath
- Zoned heating for comfort and efficiency
- 1 car garage parking + storage locker
- Year built: 2002
- Square footage: 1,240 per tax record
- HOA Dues: $731
- Walkscore/BikeScore/RiderScore: 99/88/85
A Stunning Condo with Room to Move
Van Ness has always felt grand – like Park Avenue in New York, before the great quake and fire of 1906 it contained the residences of many San Francisco’s elite. Its wide format allowed it to be used as a firebreak in the great fire and it protected the tree lined neighborhoods to the west while the city to the east was largely destroyed. It contains the vestiments of civic life: The State Building, the Opera & SF Ballet, the SF Symphony the Beaux Arts masterpiece that is San Francisco’s City Hall. In the middle of the last century it became a traffic thoroughfare, with high-end automobiles on display and restaurants luxurious House of Prime Rib and nostalgic Tommy’s Joynt. At this point in time, it seems on track to return to times of former glory with the completion of Sutter Health’s new hospital in 2019 and the completion of the Van Ness Improvement Project expected in 2021.
Ideally located in the Cathedral Hill Section of Van Ness, Chelsea Court Residence 407 has access to all the hustle and bustle of the city to the south and east but is ensconced on the west side with quicker access to the quieter climes in the north and west portions of the city. It is a short stroll to Whole Foods on California, or to the cosmopolitan outdoor dining of Hayes Valley. It is also on the route of the main tech shuttles, and a quick drive to freeways north or south.
The condo itself is spacious and airy. It is a top floor, two-level loft-style condominium with every conceivable convenience. It has a large kitchen with plenty of storage, two well separated bedrooms on the main level (one en-suite with walk in closet), in-unit laundry and a 3rd loft bedroom with adjacent den upstairs. The large central living/dining room is brightly lit by 3 windows and warmed by a corner gas-fireplace. There is a large independent parking space and small storage locker conveniently located on the 2nd floor of the structure. Chelsea Court itself is just that – it has a central courtyard for ample ventilation, and it has no enclosed hallways leading to the residences. There is a shared patio on the lowest level of the court for outdoor relaxation. There is an elevator, which is a great asset when one considers a top floor condo, but there is also an open-air, secure staircase immediately adjacent to the unit that will allow the residents of unit 407 access to the parking and to enter and exit the building without being in an enclosed space if so desired. 851 Van Ness is a great shelter offering many comforts for today and urban convenience far into the future.