The City of Santa Rosa’s Down Payment Assistance Loan program (DPAL) provides loans up to $75,000 to qualified borrowers to use towards the purchase of their first home within the Santa Rosa city limits. This program is open to current Santa Rosa residents only and must be used towards the down payment of a home as the owner’s primary residence. The loan does not require monthly payments. When the property is sold, transferred, in some cases refinanced, or the loan has reached its 30-year term, the owner must pay back the principal amount of the loan, plus any accrued interest and fees.
First time homebuyer households with incomes at or below the moderate-income level, 120% of the Area Median Income (AMI) are eligible to apply.* The following are the current income limits:
|Household Size||Maximum Income|
*The City of Santa Rosa’s full list of Income Guidelines is available HERE.
Loan Details and Restrictions
- Loan amount may go up to 10% of the purchase price, with a maximum amount of $75,000
- Interest rate of 3% simple interest
- Loan term of 30 years, deferred payment
- Eligible property types include single family home; condominium unit; cooperative unit; or manufactured home (must be located on land that is owned by the manufactured unit owner).
- The price of the home you purchase may not exceed the Maximum Purchase Price limit for Sonoma County, which is updated monthly. For example, the limit for Sonoma County in July 2023 was $850,960. Check the California Association of Realtors’ Website to determine the most recent Maximum Purchase Price limit for Sonoma County.
- Homebuyers must contribute a minimum of 1% of the purchase price toward the down payment.
How the Program Works
- Review the income and other requirements above.
- If you are eligible, work with a mortgage lender of your choice for mortgage pre-approval, then complete and submit an application to the City of Santa Rosa’s Housing and Community Services Department.
*Applications will be made available on this webpage beginning Sept. 27, 2023, and may be submitted beginning Oct. 2, 2023. Please check back here to obtain an application and for instructions to submit your application.
- Once HCS has reviewed your application and provided pre-approval, you must enroll in and complete a Homebuyer Education counseling session through Balance, a HUD-certified Homebuyer Education Provider. CLICK HERE for a list of courses coming up soon.
- Following HCS approval and completion of your homebuyer counseling, you will have six months to close escrow on an eligible property.
- Loans will be funded at the close of escrow.
- Funds are available on a first-come, first-served basis until all program funds are exhausted.
- Program Guidelines
- DPAL Application (available 9/27/23)
- Sample Loan Documents:
Promissory Note Owner
Rider to the Deed of Trust
DPAL applications will be made available on this webpage beginning Sept. 27, 2023, and may be submitted beginning Oct. 2, 2023. Please check back here to obtain an application and for instructions to submit your application.
Home Buyer Workshop
A combination webinar and in-person Home Buyer Workshop will be held on Sept. 27, 2023 at 6 p.m. for residents interested in learning more about the City of Santa Rosa’s DPAL Program and Burbank Housing’s CALHome Program. Please check back for location and webinar link to be provided soon.
For questions or more information please email Angela Morgan at HousingTrust@SRCity.org or call the Housing and Community Services Department at 707-543-3300.