San Francisco will introduce a newly revised real estate map on August 10, 2010. This may seem academic, but it really can have a huge impact on the value of your home. For example, my good friends David and Melissa have had the luck to move from the Inner Mission to Noe Valley at no expense and without packing a box! Now some of us think the Mission is cooler, but we’d all admit Noe is more expensive. The simple placement of the line that moved the Noe border from their back fence (where it was for the prior 10 years or so) to the back fence of their neighbors across the street will change what searches they are included in, how their property might be perceived and what buyers would be willing to live there. Ditto goes for areas annexed from Sunnyside and Miraloma Park by Glen Park.
Here’s a list of the changes (to see the new map, click here):
A summary of the changes appears below.
- Dividing line between 7b (Pacific Heights) and 7d (Cow Hollow) jogs south for one block at the west end and changes so that both sides of Green are in 7d (Cow Hollow) between Lyon and Divisadero. The boundary between Divisadero and Van Ness remains the same, keeping both sides of Green in 7b (Pacific Heights).
- 9h (South Beach) expands into portions of 9f (SOMA) and 9d (Mission Bay).
- Dividing line between 6b (Hayes Valley) and 8f (Van Ness/Civic Center) moves from Gough to Franklin. Dividing line between 6c (Lower Pacific Heights) and 8f (Van Ness/Civic Center) moves from Gough to Franklin between Sutter and California.
- Dividing line between District 8a (Downtown) and 8j (Tenderloin) moves from Geary to O’Farrell.
- 5f (Buena Vista Park) expands to include Ashbury Heights, and is renamed Buena Vista/Ashbury Heights, accordingly.
- 5e (Parnassus/Ashbury Heights) changes to include a portion of 5b (Haight Ashbury) which is commonly known as Cole Valley, and is renamed Cole Valley/Parnassus Heights, accordingly.
- 9a (Bernal Heights) expands to include portions of 9c (Inner Mission) south of Cesar Chavez between San Jose and Mission.
- Dividing line between 5c (Noe Valley) and 9c (Inner Mission) moves from Guerrero to San Jose between 24th St to 26th St.
- 5a (Glen Park) expands to include portions of 4s (Sunnyside), 4h (Miraloma Park) and 5c (Noe Valley).
Newly Added Districts, Carved Out of Existing Districts:
- 9G (Yerba Buena), carved out of portions of 9f (SOMA).
- 10M (Candlestick Point), carved out of portions of 10K (Bayview Heights).
- 10N (Little Hollywood), carved out of portions of 10K (Bayview Heights).
- 8b (Financial District) is renamed Financial District/Barbary Coast.
- 9j (Central Waterfront) is renamed Central Waterfront/Dogpatch.
- 5e (Parnassus/Ashbury Heights) is renamed Cole Valley/Parnassus Heights.
- 1d (Lake) is renamed Lake Street (the word “Street” is added).
- 5f (Buena Vista Park) is renamed Buena Vista/Ashbury Heights